The Lightblade Learning Lab with Russ Sadler
The Lightblade Learning Lab is a series of videos that Russ did for Thinklaser Limited based on using the Lightblade 4060 Laser Cutting and Engraving Machine. Thinklasers Lightblade 4060 has a 400 x 600mm bed size and was supplied with a 60W EFR laser tube. In This Session, Russ will show us how to convert a bitmap to a vector file and suggests some software packages you can use.
- Looking at the creative side of making a gift box
- Searching for designs on the Internet (first using the example of a butterfly)
- Taking a screengrab
- Using Photoshop
- Editor’s Note: you could try GIMP as a free alternative
- How to convert the bitmap into a vector drawing
- Using ‘Posterize’ and ‘Discard Color Information’
- Using the Adobe Illustrator ‘Trace’ function
- Export to DXF
- Opening the file with a CAD program
- Showing that some of the lines may actually be double lines because the trace function has traced both the black and the white colours
- Converting from splines to lines and arcs
- Measuring and correcting angular errors
- Trimming one half of an object and then mirroring it to produce a symmetrical version
- Using the offset function to strengthen parts of the object
- Looking for an idea for a box on the Internet
- Types of paper used for cardboard engineering
- Cutting the model
- Folding and slotting together the model
My thanks go out to Tom at Thinklaser for giving permission to embed these videos on this site. If you are looking for a new laser machine from a quality supplier, then I would suggest you check out their website: www.thinklaser.com.
Video Resource Files for how to convert a bitmap to a vector file
There are no resource files associated with this video.
External Resource Links for how to convert a bitmap to a vector file
There are no more external resource links associated with this video.
Transcript for how to convert a bitmap to a vector file
Click the “Show More” button to reveal the transcript, and use your browsers Find function to search for specific sections of interest.
Did you enjoy this post? Why not check out some of our other posts:
Last updated August 26, 2021
The information provided by n-Deavor Limited, trading as Laseruser.com (“we,” “us” , or “our”) on (the “Site”) is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the Site.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL WE HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THE SITE OR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE. YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION ON THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
EXTERNAL LINKS DISCLAIMER
The Site may contain (or you may be sent through the Site) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness by us.
WE DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OFFERED BY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES LINKED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE OR FEATURE LINKED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING.
WE WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
The Site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. Our affiliates include the following:
- makeCNC who provide Downloadable Patterns, Software, Hardware and other content for Laser Cutters, CNC Routers, Plasma, WaterJets, CNC Milling Machines, and other Robotic Tools. They also provide Pattern Files in PDF format for Scroll Saw Users. They are known for their Friendly and Efficient Customer Service and have a comprehensive back catalogue as well as continually providing New Patterns and Content.
- Cloudray Laser: a world-leading laser parts and solutions provider, has established a whole series of laser product lines, range from CO2 engraving & cutting machine parts, fiber cutting machine parts and laser marking machine parts.