The Lightblade Learning Lab with Russ Sadler
The Lightblade Learning Lab is a series of videos that Russ did for Thinklaser Limited based on using the Lightblade 4060 Laser Cutting and Engraving Machine. Thinklasers Lightblade 4060 has a 400 x 600mm bed size and was supplied with a 60W EFR laser tube. In this session, Russ continues with his Cardboard Engineering Projects and examines the use of Vectors and BMPs.
- (Adding graphic patterns to the design of the gift box in the previous video.)
- Looking at graphics – the two types are vectors and bitmaps (or pixels)
- Pythagoras’s rule
- Circles defined by radius and the location of its centre
- Formula for a line (y=mx+c)
- Example using Microsoft Paint (a bitmap program)
- Paint.net is also a good graphics package
- Zooming in on a bitmap to show the pixels
- Example using a vector-based CAD program
- Check out Inkscape if you are looking for a free vector based CAD package
- Zooming in on a vector graphic
- Bitmap/pixel graphics cannot be cut – only engraved or scanned
- Vector graphics can be engraved or scanned but also cut
- Using the CAD package to drawing a pattern on the side of the box made in Video 15
- Making sure that parts of the graphic don’t fall out when the part is cut
- Trying a cut and a scan with similar patterns
- RDWorks doesn’t always deal with importing small detail very well so make the graphic 10 times bigger, import it and then shrink it back again.
- Adding a bitmap
- Layering and ordering the items
- RDWorks ignoring requested processing order!
- Carrying out the work on the laser
- The smoke ‘halo’ on engraving paper
My thanks go out to Tom at Thinklaser for giving permission to embed these videos on this site. If you are looking for a new laser machine from a quality supplier, then I would suggest you check out their website: www.thinklaser.com.
Video Resource Files for Cardboard Engineering Projects
There are no resource files associated with this video.
External Resource Links for Cardboard Engineering Projects
There are no more external resource links associated with this video.
Transcript for Cardboard Engineering Projects – Vectors and BMPs
Click the “Show More” button to reveal the transcript, and use your browsers Find function to search for specific sections of interest.
Did you enjoy this post? Why not check out some of our other posts:
Last updated August 26, 2021
The information provided by n-Deavor Limited, trading as Laseruser.com (“we,” “us” , or “our”) on (the “Site”) is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the Site.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL WE HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THE SITE OR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE. YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION ON THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
EXTERNAL LINKS DISCLAIMER
The Site may contain (or you may be sent through the Site) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness by us.
WE DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OFFERED BY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES LINKED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE OR FEATURE LINKED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING.
WE WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
The Site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. Our affiliates include the following:
- makeCNC who provide Downloadable Patterns, Software, Hardware and other content for Laser Cutters, CNC Routers, Plasma, WaterJets, CNC Milling Machines, and other Robotic Tools. They also provide Pattern Files in PDF format for Scroll Saw Users. They are known for their Friendly and Efficient Customer Service and have a comprehensive back catalogue as well as continually providing New Patterns and Content.
- Cloudray Laser: a world-leading laser parts and solutions provider, has established a whole series of laser product lines, range from CO2 engraving & cutting machine parts, fiber cutting machine parts and laser marking machine parts.