The Lightblade Learning Lab with Russ Sadler
The Lightblade Learning Lab is a series of videos that Russ did for Thinklaser Limited based on using the Lightblade 4060 Laser Cutting and Engraving Machine. Thinklasers Lightblade 4060 has a 400 x 600mm bed size and was supplied with a 60W EFR laser tube. In this session, Russ has a go at laser engraving anodized aluminium.
- Damage thresholds.
- The test pattern drawing (you can download this here).
- Setting and running tests to identify the damage threshold of a sheet of red paper.
- Trying the same settings on white card and adjusting the settings.
- Testing the same settings on black Perspex.
- Getting black dots on a material.
- Looking at anodised aluminium.
- Plain aluminium as a reflector.
- The anodising process producing a surface of aluminium oxide.
- 2- and 3- stage anodising process and the use of dyes.
- Evaporating the dye in the anodizing leave the white oxidized surface behind.
- Viewing the engraved anodized aluminium under a microscope.
- Trying different types of anodised aluminium.
- Running at different speeds and powers and looking at the results.
- Trying a 1000 pixel/inch test graphic at different speeds and powers.
- Using RDWorks on a PC connected to the machine.
- Using the ‘Read’ command to copy the machine settings from the machine to the PC.
- Changing the Scan Mode, Facula Size and Engraving Factor.
- Looking at the ammeter during a test.
- Looking at a graph of power versus current.
- Keeping the machine at very low power keeping it in the pre-ionization zone.
- Using the machine in ‘Special’ mode and looking at an oscilloscope trace of power and the
- switching on and off relative to the dots being engraved – seeing how ‘Special’ mode breaks
- each dot into 20 kHz signals. Facula sets the amount of time that the signal is on.
- Effect of varying Facula.
- Relationship between power and time.
- Comparing photos engraved on aluminium at different speeds.
My thanks go out to Tom at Thinklaser for giving permission to embed these videos on this site. If you are looking for a new laser machine from a quality supplier, then I would suggest you check out their website: www.thinklaser.com.
Video Resource Files
There are no resource files associated with this video.
External Resource Links
There are no more external resource links associated with this video.
Transcript for Laser Engraving Anodized Aluminium
Click the “Show More” button to reveal the transcript, and use your browsers Find function to search for specific sections of interest.
Did you enjoy this post? Why not check out some of our other posts:
Last updated August 26, 2021
The information provided by n-Deavor Limited, trading as Laseruser.com (“we,” “us” , or “our”) on (the “Site”) is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the Site.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL WE HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THE SITE OR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE. YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND YOUR RELIANCE ON ANY INFORMATION ON THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
EXTERNAL LINKS DISCLAIMER
The Site may contain (or you may be sent through the Site) links to other websites or content belonging to or originating from third parties or links to websites and features in banners or other advertising. Such external links are not investigated, monitored, or checked for accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness by us.
WE DO NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OFFERED BY THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES LINKED THROUGH THE SITE OR ANY WEBSITE OR FEATURE LINKED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING.
WE WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
The Site may contain links to affiliate websites, and we receive an affiliate commission for any purchases made by you on the affiliate website using such links. Our affiliates include the following:
- makeCNC who provide Downloadable Patterns, Software, Hardware and other content for Laser Cutters, CNC Routers, Plasma, WaterJets, CNC Milling Machines, and other Robotic Tools. They also provide Pattern Files in PDF format for Scroll Saw Users. They are known for their Friendly and Efficient Customer Service and have a comprehensive back catalogue as well as continually providing New Patterns and Content.
- Cloudray Laser: a world-leading laser parts and solutions provider, has established a whole series of laser product lines, range from CO2 engraving & cutting machine parts, fiber cutting machine parts and laser marking machine parts.